Size Five Games

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 33053 times)

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 12:27:22 pm »
I only just realised that "fastest" graphics means "shittest". I didn't even look at the options because I assumed that fastest = bestest. Might be clearer to call it "lowest", same as the lighting?

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 12:52:26 pm »
gfx names are based on the Unity "standards"... um, I'll look at it, but this problem might be, uh... unique to you?

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 12:57:05 pm »
I understood it just fine.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 01:11:22 pm »
Could be, just seems strange to me that it uses a positive to describe a negative and on only one of the two. I normally check all the settings options when setting up a new game that I've bought, so maybe in a normal situation I would have twigged immediately, especially if the default was to the medium setting. Plus it might be because I've tested so many versions. But calling it "lowest" would definitively eliminate any potential confusion...

markbilly

• like, 700 series
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2013, 05:28:11 pm »
Could be, just seems strange to me that it uses a positive to describe a negative

That's marketing, basically.
Twitter: @mark_billy

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 01:59:17 pm »
I never notice that a platform has disintegrated. Could that be made a little more cinematic/dramatic/eye-catching?

Although I haven't had a chance to play much of NewBuild, I didn't see any platforms destructing. Wonder whether it might be cool to make it obvious which platforms are destructible so player is a) more likely to notice it happening and b) possibly able to plan tactics around it.

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 02:00:35 pm »
Hm, maybe. Post-launch.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 02:05:16 pm »
Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot it's exclusively bug-killing crunch time. (I assume this isn't a bug...)

HiRaJapBab

• 600 series
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2013, 02:47:37 pm »
Not sure how much you have tested with this, but perhaps have a slider or different modes determining the rate at which the power-cubes spawn.

I had a match where I won almost solely by just grabbing cubes and a match were it was really back and forth killing each other constantly, the latter example was far more enjoyable.
Ofc both examples happened probably with the same rate of power-cube spawning but I think a lesser rate would force more battles and a higher rate would make the game a lot more volatile and quick.

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2013, 02:54:57 pm »
There's fine-tuning on power cube spawn rate. I'm keen to avoid letting people tweak what's generated, as the game was designed to cut through all that and get people into the game as quickly as possible.

Some games are long, some games are short. Sometimes you have to shoot more, sometimes it's about avoiding each other and concentrating on the cubes until they dry out. I think that variation in how the game plays and how you react to it is kind of core...

HiRaJapBab

• 600 series
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2013, 02:55:36 pm »
As as a suggestion, add an encyclopedic page about there different power-ups, saying what they exactly do and how they work.
I guess most seem pretty straightforward, but I've no idea what Cyro or Timescale upgrades exactly do.

HiRaJapBab

• 600 series
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2013, 02:56:34 pm »
There's fine-tuning on power cube spawn rate. I'm keen to avoid letting people tweak what's generated, as the game was designed to cut through all that and get people into the game as quickly as possible.

Some games are long, some games are short. Sometimes you have to shoot more, sometimes it's about avoiding each other and concentrating on the cubes until they dry out. I think that variation in how the game plays and how you react to it is kind of core...

Very good point, can totally agree with that.

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2013, 02:57:26 pm »
That'll be partly covered in VO, which is missing at the moment.

I wanted it to feel a bit like an old fashioned game, where you don't know everything at first, and you pick it up naturally as you go. If that's not working, I'll look into it, but I'm hesitant to tell players *everything* because it kills the joy of discovery and working it out for yourself... ??

HiRaJapBab

• 600 series
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2013, 03:00:27 pm »
I like that approach, and certainly most games I just jump in trying to figure it out for myself because I'm too lazy to read a manual.
However these matches are so intense it's hard to devote your brain-power to anything else but running and shooting.

No doubt I'll figure it out soon though, Cyro kinda seems to attract all the cubes?

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2013, 03:01:24 pm »
Cryo freezes the opponent. Magnetic attract/ repels cubes :)