Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
Re: #SOBAD
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 07:52:43 pm »
Swindle's still my main job. This is just a little side project for shits and giggles.

markbilly

• like, 700 series
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 08:39:02 pm »
I didn't say anything about this before because I'm loyal Dan, OK? Not because I forgot.
Twitter: @mark_billy

markbilly

• like, 700 series
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 08:42:09 pm »
P.S. Will this be done by Christmas, or 'done by Christmas'?
Twitter: @mark_billy

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 10:32:23 pm »
Done by tomorrow.

unless

• beamexian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 11:00:25 pm »
I still haven't played TGP because I'm a horrible asshole*, so this may be irrelevant.  But shouldn't Den and Ban be characters at some stage?

*(ps yes I own it twice over, I'm just really an asshole)

Igor Hardy

• brillo member
    • View Profile
    • a hardy developer's journal
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 11:13:24 pm »
I'd like it to start with something shocking, outrageous - a complete reinvention of everything we love that would make the Ben & Dan fans angry and hissing at their computer screens.

But then, at the very last moment it would all turn alright and perfectly fitting. And everybody would cheer about how they allowed themselves to be fooled.
Snakes of Avalon - a game for men and reptiles - http://snakes.hardydev.com/

delve

• like, 700 series
  • Random person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 11:32:56 pm »
Maybe you should go mainstream. Make it a point and click FPS with RPG elements. Try and capture that market of old school adventure gamers yearning for a more modernized and streamlined experience with more tutorials, more guns, more blood, and less pointless reading.
This man is a shit expert. He has a baby.
This man is a bullshit expert. He has a wife.

Nickenstein79

• 600 series
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 03:39:49 am »
Take the physics to the next level.

Light that bends in a square wave!
(If you want, I could update the particle plug-in so that the rain is even dryer than before?)

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 11:04:35 am »
RIGHT, so since Friday night we've polished off LOADS of beer and whiskey. #SOBAD looks good.

It's a WAY shorter game than BTDT/ TGP, by design. Originally we were aiming for it to be fifteen minutes long, but it'll probably now be about an hour or so because we kept fucking adding things.

The puzzles are great, I'm really pleased with them - there's currently a bit of a gap before the big ending puzzle that we can't quite work out, but we should be able to figure that out during the week. Most of the raw code for getting from A->B is in, so the game's largely 'playable' if you know what you're doing.

Although there's no dialogue, there's a load of funny setpieces and puzzles, and one bit that still makes me laugh every time it happens even though I've seen it about a million times through testing.

SO: will we release it? Probably. I'm not sure how long it'll take, or how much time I've got to dedicate to it (The Swindle is my job, this is just for giggles for when that gets boring) and there's now a LOT to do.

But insofar as avoiding what made Revenge of the Balloon-Headed Mexican disappointing and problematic, I'm pretty happy we've managed that.

BaronVonMonster

• brillo member
    • View Profile
    • Monster and Monster
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 11:10:03 am »
Wooo! Sounds like one hell of a productive weekend :D I'm reeeeeeeeeeally looking forward to playing both this AND The Swindle.

Now... *cracks whip* ...get on with it all!

Lambchops

• brillo member
  • Mutton dressed as lamb
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 11:58:23 am »
Ooh, a Dan and Ben vignette. Sounds fun.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 03:06:37 pm »

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email

JohnnyW

• beamexian
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 05:11:12 am »
I'd like it to start with something shocking, outrageous - a complete reinvention of everything we love that would make the Ben & Dan fans angry and hissing at their computer screens.

But then, at the very last moment it would all turn alright and perfectly fitting. And everybody would cheer about how they allowed themselves to be fooled.

I love this idea.

Maybe introduce a "Poochie"-style character, and the player is forced to play as them. Ben and Dan are now rich and successful, and refuse to work with each other (that's why the last game was cancelled, right guys? ;)). They've hired this new character to perform in the game for them, and they're just minor characters now, essentially doing cameos so they can honour their contractual agreements.

Dan in this world is very erudite and snobbish (the success having gone to his head). Ben is flamboyantly gay (the success having given him the confidence to come out -- although he's now a total "bitch" to everyone, too).

The puzzles are deliberately crap, and this new "character" doesn't have any real lines. Or frames of animation.

This is all just off the top of my head, but I do love the idea of trying to convince everyone that you've fallen out... Only for it to be a hallucination brought on by The Balloon Headed Mexican. Which in turn, actually turns out to be a hallucination brought on by a bad take-away.

And then the game begins proper.

Edit: Hmm. It's probably really obvious from the outset that it's not real, though, which goes against your original idea, Igor. It'd be great if something could be created that genuinely would fool people (who haven't read this thread).

Maybe a crate-pushing puzzle to begin with? Or maybe it loads up to a Tetris/Puzzle Bobble style mini-game where Ben and Dan stand on the side of the screen and cheer you on with the same three cheers, over and over. (Like a bad spin-off title.)

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 10:49:55 am »
We can't have the Ben character be gay as well!