Size Five Games

Author Topic: Proposed Event #1  (Read 16440 times)

Kouen Hasuki

• 600 series
    • View Profile
    • Kouen's Tech Corner
    • Email
Proposed Event #1
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:41:52 am »
Myself and Scooter have been talking about setting up an event this Friday or Saturday

What we was thinking since its the first event and all that is nothing special just a "General" time to get together and play.

Scooter is in the USA where as I am in Norway so my time is only an hour ahead of the UK

We thought to for me to start the ball rolling around say 6pm (UK Time GMT) Giving everyone in the UK to get home from work and what have you and a bit later when Scooter is ready to roll pop on when he does on the USA Server where he will continue it we will both be playing at the same time and when it comes for me to get to bed he will still be playing, it seems a good idea to me and will cater to both European and American players as the event will play out in both time zones and overlaps into Australia ect ect

Now if for some reason there is no one on the USA one Scooter will jump to Europe and vice versa. I will be asking my friends to come along for the fun if the plan goes ahead to add to the numbers if they can join in :)

What ya guys think? If I missed anything out Scooter or slightly off feel free to add to the topic :)

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
Re: Proposed Event #1
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:19:22 am »
I think that sounds like a sensible plan.

Suggest you put out a Steam Group announcement on wednesday to let people know, and then set up the event. I'll tweet the link to the event as soon as it's there.

Kouen Hasuki

• 600 series
    • View Profile
    • Kouen's Tech Corner
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 12:40:24 pm »
OK mate sounds good will let me touch bases with Scooter before hand

Scooter

• 600 series
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 07:08:56 pm »
Awesome, now we just need to schedule the event in the Steam Group, so group members get a reminder when the event starts.

I can take care of this once I get home from work, if that's okay with everyone.

Scooter

• 600 series
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 08:44:51 pm »
Event created: http://steamcommunity.com/games/gunmonkeys/events/2146252203441095241

I also tweeted it at you, Dan, before I remembered this forum :-P

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 07:30:13 am »
Brillo stuff. Will tweet this closer to the event :)

Thanks guys. My internet is too shit for Gun Monkeys sadly, but I'll be sure to log in to chat etc.

Kouen Hasuki

• 600 series
    • View Profile
    • Kouen's Tech Corner
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 08:48:28 am »
No worries mate :D We got ya back :)

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 09:29:47 am »
Brillo stuff. Will tweet this closer to the event :)

Thanks guys. My internet is too shit for Gun Monkeys sadly, but I'll be sure to log in to chat etc.

I thought it was better than in London! So you'll just never be able to play Gun Monkeys at your current house? Shit, hope my internet's good enough when it finally arrives (5th failed attempt today).

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 09:34:48 am »
It's impossibly good, and works great for streaming vids etc. It's not as fast as the London one for a few reasons. Firstly, I'm not as close to the exchange BUT the exchange has less traffic running through it BUT the exchange is smaller, so at times it's blisteringly fast (ie not evenings)

The trouble is the only phone line in is downstairs and the office is upstairs. So I'm using these clever plug socket things that send the internet signal through the power lines.

Because of where the PC is set up, I *have* to do this through an extension cable, which makes the connection occasionally drop, just for a second, because of the power surge protection thing. Not good for GM.

On top of that, my download speeds are fine, but my upload speeds are weirdly dreadful. So online gaming's probably not likely from here. To be fair, I do live in the middle of a meadow, now.

So yeah, my internet's probably just about good enough, but the setup is making it pretty iffy from my gaming PC :/

Kouen Hasuki

• 600 series
    • View Profile
    • Kouen's Tech Corner
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 10:56:06 am »
Considered going wireless with a performance based wifi card?

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 11:01:30 am »
No, a wireless PCI card tends to have a bigger limitation on it than the plugins, it's because of the extension cord.

Regardless, I think the core issue is the upload speed, which there's nothing I can do about; it's dreadful on laptop and desktop alike.

Kouen Hasuki

• 600 series
    • View Profile
    • Kouen's Tech Corner
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 12:17:38 pm »
There is a SetAck Tweak that can reduce the ping on your upload that I know of if that could be of use to you.

Use it all the time very handy with online gaming for instance with my net (also with bad upload speed) i got my ping down from 250ms ish to 75ms

Normally your pc holds up half packets of data for other parts then runs it through the Tweak gets Windows to Process the packets as soon as they are recived

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 05:20:47 pm »
Fifth attempt failed, so won't be able to join in on this. Hopefully it goes well and I'll be able to join in on (or initiate) the next one!

Kouen Hasuki

• 600 series
    • View Profile
    • Kouen's Tech Corner
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 08:42:05 pm »
With all the fancy modern day gizmo's you would think hooking up someones net would be a few min 1 man job lol