Size Five Games

Author Topic: Ben what other old games do you have that you haven't played yet?  (Read 54492 times)

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ben what other old games do you have that you haven't played yet?
« Reply #345 on: August 11, 2019, 09:51:38 pm »
Pretty sure that's in Max Payne one, you use a phone on a desk and get a little graphic novel sequence from what I remember.

Yeah Max Payne 2 was a refinement in pretty much all aspects. The bullet time is fairer(dives don't take away bullet time) and the combat relies a lot less on memorising enemy spawns with better level design and variety. Also a dedicated grenade/molotov button makes them useful. Graphics are nice and it still has some effects that hold up quite well like the working mirrors and wavy effects in dream sequences(I started a replay today). I am getting a weird bug where Max won't respond to movement commands after a cut scene and I have to reload.

Another nice thing in the sequel is that the graphic novel bits are all done properly this time, the first game sometimes used screenshots with a photoshop painting filter on them.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 12, 2019, 01:51:09 am »
Oh yeah, ha ha, you could definitely tell where they forgot to get a certain pose photographed and just did a bodge job instead of getting more shots!

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 15, 2019, 06:59:27 pm »
Did you play any more Max Payne 2, Paul? I played a bit more and I don't think I can be bothered. It's almost exactly the same as the first game and I'm kind of bored already. There aren't any tactics involved, it's just use bullet-time, shoot gangster, repeat.

I also played South Park a bit more. Nothing especially funny has happened and I'm already feeling overwhelmed by the fighting - I can't remember all the different rules and which buttons do what. Maybe if I'm able to keep looking at the tutorials before each turn I'll start to get used to it, and the story will get funnier once I'm through the opening section. Wish this was an adventure game, though.

Yet again I've left Arkham City for long enough that getting back into it feels daunting...

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: September 17, 2019, 03:41:30 pm »
I haven't! I played a few levels and then Control was out so I switched to that. I also had a bit of a thought of why am I spending my time replaying this instead of trying something new.

I can see playing it soon after the first and with the fact that it's 16 years old now that mechanically it feels basically the same that you'd get bored. I think when it came out, it had been 2 years since the first and it had proper physics now and better production values and all that stuff it was way more exciting. It's an improvement but over the course of more than a decade those improvements are less noticeable.