Size Five Games

Author Topic: Syndicate with a vengeance  (Read 8552 times)

captainbinky

• like, 700 series
  • My dog's got no nose...
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Stone
    • Email
Re: Syndicate with a vengeance
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 01:56:03 pm »
You mean GTA IV ;)

Edit: I'll stop taking the piss now. Open-world sandbox Syndicate would obv be fabbo.

Igor Hardy

• brillo member
    • View Profile
    • a hardy developer's journal
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 06:52:31 pm »
I'm not very fond of open world. Too much freedom and repetitive traveling.
Snakes of Avalon - a game for men and reptiles - http://snakes.hardydev.com/

captainbinky

• like, 700 series
  • My dog's got no nose...
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Stone
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 07:28:23 pm »
Move to North Korea?

Igor Hardy

• brillo member
    • View Profile
    • a hardy developer's journal
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 08:09:34 pm »
Move to North Korea?

Nah, that would require leaving my flat.
Snakes of Avalon - a game for men and reptiles - http://snakes.hardydev.com/

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 08:44:51 am »
Stunted, out-of-context, exposition-laden script leaked!

http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/26/script-for-ea-starbreeze-syndicate-reboot-leaks/

Here's mine:

MSCIENTIST: Hey, we've got these new TechnoFuture things in. You wanna take a look?
FSCIENTIST: Are they as good as the old F-28s?
MSCIENTIST: Hmph! They'd better be. They've been updating the futuristic software since EvilCorp took over exactly 18 months ago.
FSCIENTIST: 18 months precisely isn't it?
MSCIENTIST: Yes it is. Do you want to have Futuristic Cyber Sex with the microchips we all have embedded in our skulls these days, because that's the 'norm' it's just what everyone does because it's the future now?
FSCIENTIST: Not now I have a future headache.

It's a bit like that.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 01:13:12 pm »
Quoted here with no prompting from me, well done Dan!

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 01:41:56 pm »
Yaaaay! I'm brillo it turns out!

the_dancing_spy

• brillo member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 04:47:56 pm »
Your mother and I are very proud

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2011, 07:40:36 am »

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 12:19:02 pm »
Crumbs, you can release 6 screenshots of a game and some scarce info and everyone's grumbling about it like it's the fucking apocalypse.

Background: Syndicate is arguably my favourite game ever. If I had the time and/or opportunity to do a "Gaming Made Me" for RPS, it would be about Syndicate. I read the PCZone review a million times, lusting over every pixel, planning my Alaska attack from the page spread they'd done of the map. I played it in silence, because we didn't have a soundcard. I've thrown away/ sold all my games from that era, but I've still got the original massive Syndicate box, amazing manual and 3.5" disks.

IN SHORT: I fucking love Syndicate. It holds a very special place in my gaming upbringing, and I will defend it to the death.

I'd rather play an FPS set in the Syndicate Universe than a remake of Syndicate. We don't need a remake! I've done all that. It'd be like playing GTA V and the sinking realisation it's still GTA III with nicer graphics, again. If they remade the damned thing, everyone would just compare the two and grumble for an entirely different reason.

It was the uber-cool setting that made Syndicate what it was. It was the missions and the miniguns and the trenchcoats and the research excitement and the amazing bomb effects. Put all that into a brilliant FPS and I am so there.

Syndicate FPS gets a thumbs up from me. Make it feel like Syndicate and it could be amazing. The coolest image on there so far for me if the box image:

Looks like Syndicate!

I'm certainly not going to throw a wobbly over half a dozen gorgeous-looking screenshots.

Wiper

• beamexian
  • pathetic creature of meat and bone
    • View Profile
    • Income: Disposed
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2011, 01:07:52 pm »
See, I'm very close to you on this in one way, and very distant in another.

I'm completely down for an action game set in the Syndicate universe - FPS, TPS, whatever would have been fine. Hell, the games were actually near-action games anyway, albeit with a management layer.

A Syndicate FPS set on the open streets, with faceless, trenchcoat-wearing agents, capturing the ambiance of the original universe, would be amazing.

Instead, those screenshots suggest that you're playing as Handsome Eurocorp McJumpsuit, which genuinely horrifies me, and there's an awful lot of, well, corridors on display. And all this talk of bullet-time and x-ray vision, but nothing about a Persuadatron?

Obviously, a few screenshots and bullet points tell barely any of the story, but still - what little is on show does worry me. Hopefully, my fears will be allayed in time.

(Oh, and, er, hi. I've been a fan since Ben There, Dan That, but never registered for the forum until your tweet drove me here. That probably marks me and my priorities as a bit weird, I know)
infrequent posting is an artform

Wiper

• beamexian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2011, 01:10:59 pm »
(incidentally, E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, for its many flaws, has come closest to capturing the 'Syndicate agent on a rampage with a minigun' feeling - allowing you to suit up in the heaviest armour, wielding a minigun, then mercilessly walking your way through the streets and into enemy compounds shrugging off small arms fire while you lay down bloody murder was quite the thing. Also somewhat nerfed in a recent patch, sadly, but it was a wonderful feeling while it lasted)

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2011, 02:13:30 pm »
and there's an awful lot of, well, corridors on display. And all this talk of bullet-time and x-ray vision, but nothing about a Persuadatron?

Yeah, as you said, it's 6 screens and a press release. You could make GTAIV look like a corridor shooter with 6 screens and a press release!

I'm not saying it's going to be amazing. I'm not saying they're going to do an amazing job of it, I'm not saying what they're doing isn't a massive mistake... but it's a game set in the Syndicate universe that looks pretty. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until there's more info.

hi. I've been a fan since Ben There, Dan That, but never registered for the forum until your tweet drove me here.

Hello! You're most welcome. Do make sure to set yourself up with an avatar and rate your lunch. ;)

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2011, 02:17:36 pm »
Eugh, the comments here are so impossibly annoying: http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/11/info-screens-on-starbreezes-syndicate-reboot-leak-onto-origin/

Gamers can be right pricks, sometimes.

Wiper

• beamexian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2011, 02:37:47 pm »
Yeah, as you said, it's 6 screens and a press release. You could make GTAIV look like a corridor shooter with 6 screens and a press release!

Aye, but it's easy to assume that the shots will be representative of the game's most appealing aspects, so it can be tempting to judge based on them.

Of course, Dragon Age: Origins, also published by EA, proved that even extensive preview coverage can be completely non-representative, and turned out to be fantastic despite the awful promotional campaign in its run up. So, yeah, exploding with rage right now would be premature.

Still, if the next batch of shots don't include a cyborg looming menacingly in a trenchcoat I shall not be impressed.