Size Five Games

Author Topic: The Good Place  (Read 2438 times)

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Good Place
« on: February 20, 2018, 08:27:20 am »
I know I'm behind on this, I just started to watch a couple of weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. I like how it's a different dynamic to the usual group of friends/work colleagues you get in sitcoms, it feels fresh. I've just started Season 2.

What a great way to turn everything on its head, I was waiting for a reveal that things weren't quite as they seemed but never saw that one coming and it's wonderful. Ted Danson sells it so well. Awesome to see the first day re-done as well. I thought maybe there was lots of people who "don't belong" as some sort of test or that it was Eleanor's personal hell being with all these nice people. So glad to be wrong. Also Denise being bitter about having a worse role this time is a neat touch. Excited to watch more.

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
Re: The Good Place
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:42:17 am »
I've just started S2 as well, about 5 eps in and it feeeeeels a bit directionless, doing standalone setpiece eps rather than going somewhere so it feels very much like it's stagnated. But still enjoyable.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 07:17:26 am »
Yep, I'm loving this series!

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 04:52:38 pm »
I've just started S2 as well, about 5 eps in and it feeeeeels a bit directionless, doing standalone setpiece eps rather than going somewhere so it feels very much like it's stagnated. But still enjoyable.

Have you finished Season 2? I felt like it never got into its groove and ultimately spent a lot of time threading water.

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 05:55:32 pm »
Yes, me too. I thought it started to ramp up when they went to the Bad Place but it was a bit underwhelming there. I appreciated what they did with it but it was a bit fillery.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 08:04:39 pm »
I thought the start of season 2 was fantastic - the big twist at the end of S1 made the show even better. But a few episodes in, I did feel like it was getting a little unfocused, rather than spinning plates - it kept moving forwards but not in such a defined way. But I suspect if I went back and watched the start of S1 again it'd probably be about the same, I think that thing I spoilered just made the show feel laser-pointed for a while. Still loving it overall, though, I never felt like I'd seen a duff episode.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 08:14:31 pm »
We're on the 4th and final season now, and while I'm continuing to enjoy it, it does continue to feel a little directionless sometimes. Probably the biggest flaw has been failing to build up a raft of strong supporting characters - I don't find Shawn or The Judge funny, for example, and they really doubled down on their presence in the show. I quite like the new human characters in the 4th season, though they can be even more single-note than the leads, which as much as I love them is saying something.
I'm probably going to binge re-watch the whole thing once it's finished, so I've definitely still had a positive experience with it, even if it never really recaptured the highs of S1 and half of S2. I just really fucking hope they nail the landing. I suspect they've had a plan the whole time so I'm relatively optimistic...

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 09:15:23 am »
I'm caught up with it now but I've only been watching it on flights when I've time to kill so that says something of how good it is. It's entertaining but not essential viewing anymore but it does feel like they know where they're going now.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 01:05:16 pm »
I do laugh several times per episode, but I don't have that "wow" feeling at the end of them any more.

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 01:26:11 pm »
Yes, that's exactly how I feel.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 08:31:39 pm »
Well, it finished. It wrapped up nicely enough but it stopped being funny or surprising. Maybe I'll re-watch the whole thing, but in 5 years from now rather than straight away: the final season soured me on that idea.

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 01:46:13 pm »
I finished this, took me a while to motivate myself to watch the last three episodes. It felt both drawn out and rushed at the same time. It wasn't interesting, engaging or funny anymore.

I felt like they could have gotten a season out of them being in the actual good place and the idea of being there forever and everyone coming to the point that they want to leave. As it stands what they did just felt like a quick montage to tie things up. It'd probably be along the lines of Forever which tackled this really well already but I definitely wanted more from it.