Author Topic: Thief  (Read 167 times)

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thief
« on: December 01, 2018, 07:20:04 pm »
Gonna start a new thread but latch onto a post of Ben's.

I moved onto Thief. After finally settling on key bindings, I quite enjoyed putting out torches and blackjacking guards, even though I felt a bit like I'm kind of fluking my way through and missing lots of stuff. I like the steampunky vibe - medieval setting with lots of dials and lifts and stuff. Unfortunately it very quickly moves onto mines and mazes with shitty platforming, giant spiders and zombies, death-traps and poison-cloud enemies - my shitty FPS tropes bingo-card filled up and I quit.

I liked the medieval setting, although after the first level it was a bit dreary - mines and prisons, ugh. I also quite enjoyed stealthing around, though I felt it was pretty unforgiving - lots of guards surrounded by light and noisy floors. Having said that, I checked the manual and was doing a couple of things wrong, so if this particular level hadn't pushed me to uninstall I might have gotten a bit more adept. A minor thing to mention - after SiN, this is another game with opening titles inspired by those of Se7en, despite the medieval setting!

Thief is 20 years old as of yesterday which has prompted me to replay it. I first heard of Thief from my neighbour and had only heard the descriptions of sneaking into levels and avoiding guards and in my mind it had an Arabian setting a la Aladdin which was my touchstone for a thievery setting, it was also more of a side scrolling game! How wrong I was! A lot of my Thief experience has been second hand, watching me neighour play it wasn't until the third game that I really got into the series myself. Anyway... I'm on the 3rd of 4th level now, stealing a horn of some sort. I agree with pretty much all Ben said, awesome setting, spooky level/enemy stuff isn't very good but it's not enough to put me off it. I'm also definitely getting the feeling that I'm fluking my way through but it kinda feels like a more tension filled experience that's forgiving enough, compared to most modern stealth games with their insta-fail and aggressive help to compensate like seeing a guard's path, or  seeing them through walls, 'reaction' modes so you can hide/kill them quick. Killing guards is generally too much work and the game strongly encourages you to hide and creep and if you must just knock out a guard when they're unaware.

I'm also playing with a fan HD patch thing which fixes it for running in high resolutions and redoes lots of textures to be less terrible which feels a little needed as the graphics are very dated.

The controls are very dated, the defaults are baffling and from that period of people still getting used to mouse look. Thankfully I've gotten them binded to something much like a typical FPS so it's not that much of a hassle.

Interesting video about modern design versus something like Thief: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU

The Dark Mod, Thief style game in the Doom 3 engine with lots of fan missions: http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thief
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 08:39:47 pm »
Just beat that mission, if that's why you quit I understand. Overall it was a pain of wandering around repetitive areas and avoiding way too many enemies. One or the other and it'd have been fine.

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 04:58:46 pm »
This is getting tough to stick with, I don't know if it was always this way or if it just doesn't like modern PCs but I'm getting lots of weird bugs. Just now I wasn't able to swing my sword at all, other times I've been blocked from moving even though there's no clear obstruction. Sometimes enemies attacks hit em multiple times and kill me nearly instantly. I quite like the gameplay but it's just a bit broken for me and it gets frustrating when that kind of thing leads you to die.

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 12:31:40 pm »
I powered through, the mission I was on was The Thieve's Guild added in for Thief Gold with a reputation for being a bit bums. There's lots of repetitive sewers and some treasure to get that's behind a banner that you can apparently destroy but that's not made super clear. There was a lot of back tracking and it took me nearly 2 hours to complete due to getting lost so much. Things have picked back up now.

I've also reverted to the original art as I think the HD texture pack was aiding in the confusion and it was a bit too general, in that some of the new textures felt out of place on certain levels.

Doing a level now with zombies and monsters and ghosts and all that, luckily you can just run from most of them. They're really rather tedious to have in there but they're not ruining the game for me.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 01:06:40 pm »
Yeah, it was the Bonehoard level that got me to quit - shitty maze full of shitty zombies and shitty poison gas. Glad you've managed to push through, though!

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 02:26:20 pm »
As an aside I quickly tried The Dark Mod, I'll probably give it another go with a top rated mission if I can work out how to find one, what I played was fairly average. It kinda captured Thief with the controls and mechanics but the level wasn't very interesting and felt rather linear, but maybe it's that way to teach you. Also it wasn't obvious which doors I could and couldn't open, that always annoys me.

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 10:19:43 pm »
So. Much. Platforming. Fuck me, for a game with such bad jumping controls they love adding in platforming.

Just finished The Mage Tower, by far the worst mission in the game so far for me. The first 30 minutes were excellent where I was sneaking through the mage compound to find out where I needed to go, the next hour was going through 4 element themed towers and was just tedious. 3 of them had various puzzles, the first 2 being some rather repetitive platforming on slooooooooow moving platforms which felt like it was just wasting my time, no fun at all. At one point there was a puzzle to lower a chest that you have to lock pick, but it raises again before you can pick the lock so you have to repeat the process, just annoying. The final one was fire themed and you waited around for parts of the floor to go from hot to cold then pick a lock at the end where you have to move based on which tile is cold. Someone thought an hour of this would be fun. An hour of fuck all sneaking, no stealing and lots of jumping. :|

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 07:06:50 pm »
Is it another Gold addition?

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 12:05:11 am »
Just checked, it is. The Thief Gold missions are really bad.

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 12:08:28 am »
Also, you have to escape through the sewers under the building, but I don't recall ever being told that specifically. The game just says escape, so I went to where I came in and when the level wouldn't end I just looked it up.

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 09:27:52 pm »
Just finished The Lost City, another dud. Once again you're tasked with exploring repetitive areas with annoying and easily failed platforming along with a bunch of annoying enemies(fire elementals that shoot fire at you, no stealth here!). I've noticed something about how good a level is and how I save. The good levels finish with a pile of proper manual saves and I don't quick save that often because it's all bigger plans to get through a room undetected so I want a manual save to go back to rather than relying on my last quick save in case it leaves me in a bad spot. The bad levels end with like 2 or 3 proper saves and me having quick saved about a million times due to platforming sections or just expecting traps/enemies in the room I'm about to go into.

I think Thief 2 gets rid of these types of levels almost completely and with good reason. Thief reviewed well in its day but wasn't received as fondly as it's remembered and it's probably because when people think of Thief they think of levels like Lord Bafford's Manor, but there's a lot more to Thief than that, there's a bunch of shitty levels with terrible platforming and terrible enemies which really bring down the game.

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 09:00:38 am »
I'm onto Return To The Cathedral, which would probably be quite awesome if this was the first level with spookiness in it. As it stands it's nothing we haven't seen several time so it takes off the edge of Haunted Cathedral. The previous mission was infiltrating a Hammerite compound dressed as one of them which was a nice change of pace. It had an annoying find 5 hidden switches puzzle and press them all within 5 minutes thing, not the worst but one of them was hidden a bit too well.

Still having enough fun to keep playing and I plan to finish it.