Size Five Games

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic (and Telly) Universe  (Read 70249 times)

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
Re: Marvel Cinematic (and Telly) Universe
« Reply #375 on: March 28, 2019, 10:11:11 am »
Yep, same. I thought it was all a bit bland and largely forgettable tbh.

As I said on Twitter, a 90s genre movie would have been ace, something *tonally* of the time. This was a paint-by-the-numbers MCU film with just... like... every 1990s pop rock track laid on top, which is not the same thing at all

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #376 on: March 28, 2019, 11:57:45 am »
I might go see it, but I haven't been watching any of the newer Marvel films because I'm just so bored with them all at this stage.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 28, 2019, 05:46:04 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't bother if I were you. Ragnarok was the last one worth watching.

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #378 on: March 29, 2019, 01:19:34 pm »
I've come to really enjoy Infinity War. I still feel like they botched the ending, but I think the film as a whole is super enjoyable. It's no Ragnorok, but it's really watchable.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 30, 2019, 07:52:20 am »
Yeah, but you just Stockholm Syndrome yourself by watching these dreadful films repeatedly until they seem okay!

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #380 on: March 30, 2019, 10:41:52 am »
Yeah, like Shaun of the Dead.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 30, 2019, 03:12:18 pm »
Ha ha, I knew that would be the response!

But seriously, I guess with these overstuffed movies, once you know everything that's going on, you can enjoy the individual pieces more. I'll probably re-watch Infinity War at some point, think "hey, it wasn't as bad as I remember it!" then never watch it again. I actually watched Last Jedi again and wasn't so disgusted by the entire thing. Still can't be bothered with Black Panther or Rogue One re-watches, though.

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 28, 2019, 04:10:08 pm »
Just saw Endgame, didn't enjoy it that much. It didn't have the usual 'overstuffed/too much arc plot' issues - it actually felt quite streamlined and propulsive, and the arc plot is the point here so it's fine.

But the action is still terrible, and that's even harder to ignore on one of these big team-up movies. (There's a scene early on where it's hard to tell what's going on with all the shaky-cam, whip-pans and fast edits, and all that's happening is two characters sitting down playing shove ha'penny, it's ridiculous.)

I think the main problem was the time-travel rules. And I'm not doing my classic 'if it's not BTTF it's not real' thing here. They pick like three different rule-sets and break all of them. It's hugely confusing and distracting, it really muddies all the stakes, character arcs and narrative up. But also, a lot of character arcs fizzling out or repeating themselves, character powers being wildly inconsistent; the kind of thing that a film franchise so praised for creating a huge ongoing, sprawling and interweaving story should really not be dropping the ball on.

Not as good as Ragnarok, or Avengers 1, or Iron Man 1, or a lot of Game Of Thrones, or Back To The Future 2.

Paul

• SIZE FIVE!
  • 3rd Member Registered
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #383 on: April 29, 2019, 02:01:50 pm »
I think I enjoyed it more than you, maybe it's that I've been going to the Marvel movies less that led to this(I skipped Captain Marvel but was told I wans't missing much). Pretty much agree with you on those points though. The time travel, you just have to not think about it at all in anyway for it to be ok. Thanos being killed off so soon I really liked and him coming back was reasonably OK, it was definitely needed as there were no stakes for quite a while. I liked the focus Ant-Man got, he's a fun character. Slobby depressed Thor was fun, there was some nice pay offs with some good gags. Cap USA's "Hail Hydra" was nice. Things like that while still keeping me engaged for 3 hours with the main plot of the movie.

I was mostly impressed that there's 21 movies this is capping off and it wasn't a complete mess of closing off every plot point without a good story of its own.

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #384 on: May 01, 2019, 02:50:03 pm »
Whew boy just got back, I'm with Ben.

- The opening (third?) getting the band back together stuff was super laborious. The "Thor is fat now ha ha" section went on way too long and then they just kept. fucking. doing. them.
- The Time Travel section was the opposite of Infinity War, which had all these threads that were either a/ revealing stuff or b/ good action bits and so when a scene came up I was like "Oh yeah! What's going on with this thread?" but the Time Travel threads had none of that, they were all pretty boring, there was no intrigue in them. So there was an hour of just flipping between uninteresting scenes.
- The end fight stuff was just gratuitously and messy, and looked like the big hard-to-follow dark CGI fight the DCU kept doing.

I also wasn't impressed by the fact the Time Travel stuff required remembering what the fuck happened in the first Thor movie, like anyone's seen that since, or the opening scene from Guardians (which I *did* remember), or like the first Avengers film or who the guy in the lift was etc etc. I get that it's a culmination piece, but the "We're going here, which is when this happened" scenes needed WAY more hand-holding to help you have a shot at remembering.

I thought the end threads were wrapped up nicely.

All in all: yeesh

Dan

• Administrator
  • SIZE FIVE!
    • View Profile
    • Size Five Games
    • Email
« Reply #385 on: May 01, 2019, 03:01:08 pm »
Also, FUCKING ALSO: "oh no we don't have much Hank Pym juice so we only get one shot at this!!!" and then Captain America proceeds to only take 4 of 7(8?) vials from 1970, and Black Widow doesn't pass hers on before she jumps WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE these things are CRITICAL jesus fucking christ

Ben

• Global Moderator
  • SIZE FIVE!
  • Cake Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 23, 2019, 10:13:43 pm »
Due to Disney having its own service now and Kevin Feige getting to make his own Marvel tv shows, Jessica Jones S3 is the last of the Netflix Marvel tv shows.

Season 2 turned out to be mostly dreadful. Season 3 was an improvement but mediocre at best and certainly nowhere near the excellent first season. Too much padding as usual, characters who have almost no bearing on the story yet tons of screen time, clumsy writing and supposedly super-smart characters making stupid decisions/mistakes all the time. Finally, it had a damp squib of an ending, uninspired for a season finale, never mind an entire sub-franchise (though I'm not sure if they were aware).

Runaways is not strictly in continuity with those shows or the movies, though it has crossed over with the Cloak And Dagger show). It's an adaptation of a really good Marvel comic by Brian K Vaughan and it's fucking terrible. Nothing makes sense on any level, from individual lines of dialogue through character actions and motivations up to season story arcs. And, again, it's just supposedly smart people doing stupid stuff constantly. Plus, they messed with the original's conceit (a group of young friends discover their parents are supervillains), presumably to make it easier to keep characters going in the show, but at this point that's screwed them over so badly they've had to resort to having half of those characters getting body-snatched so they can reboot their personalities.